Position Title: Circulation Specialist (Evening)
Department: Staley Library
FLSA Category: Non-exempt
Job Summary: With the guidance of the Access Services Coordinator, collaborates with the other Circulation Specialist in assuring the provision of excellent Circulation Desk services to Millikin University students, faculty, administrators and staff, as well as to community members and visitors from other academic institutions statewide, during all hours that the library is open.
All employees are expected to uphold the values of the University. At Millikin University, we value:
1. Close the library 5 days a week (including one weekend day) at midnight, ensuring that all valuable items and entry to the library work areas are properly secured.
2. Provide Circulation Desk assistance to Millikin University students, faculty, administrators and staff, as well as to community members and visitors from other academic institutions statewide.
3. Under the supervision of the Access Services Coordinator, participate in the hiring, training, monitoring, and evaluation of student employees, including assuring processing of time sheets and paychecks of students specifically assigned to the Circulation Desk.
4. Supportively provide work assignments and supervisory guidance for student staff as needed, including assuring appropriate desk coverage and quality of student work.
5. Courteously and helpfully interpret library policies and procedures for public and staff and assist patrons with locating and borrowing library materials.
6. Assemble, monitor and maintain the faculty’s Reserve reading collections, a task that includes creating bibliographic records for these materials in the library’s computerized catalog system.
7. Provide basic reference assistance to students, faculty and staff, including appropriate referrals to librarians. Provide assistance to public in use of microfilm readers and photocopiers.
8. Oversee library stack maintenance and inventory, including assigning to student workers the daily shelving of all materials and regular shelf reading for shelving accuracy.
9. Contribute to the collection of statistics and to the creation of statistical and other reports in areas of responsibility.
10. Act as sole supervisor Sunday – Thursday for all evening hours the library is open and no librarian is present.
1. Mending of library materials as time allows.
2. Answering patron questions regarding fines and notices with Acquisition/Circulation Specialist
3. Assist student workers, the Access Services Coordinator, and the Director of Library in their responsibilities as needed.
4. Within parameters of position responsibilities, propose new or changed policies and procedures to accomplish own responsibilities, related operations, and Library mission.
5. Actively support Library colleagues, Library service goals, and the University mission.
6. Other duties as assigned.
Minimum Position Qualifications: