Office Support Assistant – University of Illinois Extension
Units 16 & 17 Cluster - Decatur, IL (Macon County - Unit 17)
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
Primary Position Function/Summary: This staff member works under general supervision to organize, coordinate, and perform a variety of clerical duties requiring knowledge of general office and university procedures and methods, the ability to operate a variety of office equipment, and the ability to operate computer systems, such as Microsoft Office and Quicken, and university based software packages.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists in the development, adaptation and coordination of complex mailing lists, records, and filing systems including the 4-H data management system.
- Performs typing of moderate difficulty and transcription duties as required.
- Completes procedures for Volunteer Screening forms, including follow-up letters after review by county director.
- Types material and edits for grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure.
- Provides a variety of factual information to professional staff, requiring the use of judgment and knowledge of area programs, policies, and procedures.
- Maintains all financial accounts for the Unit Master Gardener program including those budget lines established by the Unit Master Gardener Advisory Board.
- Independently makes meeting and other physical arrangements for conferences, tours, and workshops conducted by Extension professional staff.
- Composes factual correspondence requiring the use of judgment and knowledge of Extension activities, programs, and University policy and procedures.
- Trains clerical staff in office procedures and may assist professional staff in interviewing, arranging work schedules, and advising non-academic staff.
- Prepares statements of expenditures, reviews vouchers for accuracy, prepares deposit slips, and deposits money in Extension accounts as instructed.
- Reviews incoming mail and on basis of content, redirect, respond, or obtain additional information.
- Compiles statistics for annual reports, plans of work, and special evaluation studies as directed.
- Verifies annual equipment inventory.
- Arranges for and monitors equipment-maintenance contracts.
- Supervises the ordering of office supplies.
1. High school graduation or equivalent
2. Any one or combination totaling six (6) months from the following categories:
(a) work experience performing simple, repetitive clerical/office support activities, including use of computer systems
(b) vocational training that provided a knowledge of generally accepted clerical procedures
(c) college or university course work in Office Occupations, Business Administration, Business Education, or closely related fields
12 semester hours = six (6) months
(d) college or university course work in any curriculum
24 semester hours = six (6) months
For more information about this classification:
This Office Support Assistant position is a 100%-time, benefits-eligible civil service position. The work schedule is to be determined (37.5 hours per week, 12 months per year). The minimum salary is $16.08 per hour.
To apply, submit a Civil Service application at jobs.illinois.edu and an exam request form for EXT-OS ASSISTANT- DECATUR (MACON). Please include all relevant work/volunteer experience coordinating educational and/or community programs or activities. This information should be included in the Experience portion of the application. Documents such as college transcripts (unofficial are accepted), resumes, driver’s license, professional licenses, and certifications should be uploaded to the application by the time you submit an exam request, as these documents may be required for your exam.
For further information regarding application procedures, contact Staff Human Resources at 217-333-2137 or email@example.com.
This is a security-sensitive position. Comprehensive background checks, including but not limited to a criminal conviction information check, a CANTS check, and a review of the Registered Sex Offender list, will be conducted.
The University of Illinois conducts criminal background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer. Other pre-employment assessments may be required, depending on the classification of Civil Service employment.
The University of Illinois is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply. For more information, visit http://go.illinois.edu/EEO. To learn more about the University’s commitment to diversity, please visit http://www.inclusiveillinois.illinois.edu.